Wednesday, January 5, 2011

'L' and a New Year

I vowed for 2011 to finish what I started in regards to preschool. We kicked off the year with a bang!

'L' is for Lion and 'l' is for lollipop:


Monday was Lions: We read a couple different books about Lions. "We're going on a Lion hunt" by Margery Cuyler and "Quiet!" Paul Bright were both really fun! I always try to get a non-fiction book too when we are talking about an animal, so we can see actual pictures. Lions are definitely one of our favorites!

Wednesday was Lollipops: I couldn't find any books about Lollipops, so I taught Tanner the Lollipop song, cheek pop and all. Then what better way to talk about lollipops then to make them??

First you get your molds ready:

Then you read the instructions:

Then you get your ingredients ready:

Then you stir (and stir and stir and stir and then finally leave it for mom to do because it's TOTALLY boring!)

Then you poor it into the molds and stare at them until they dry:

And then you enjoy:


Tues and Thurs we worked on numbers, I used the 'Winter Math' work sheets I found here.


Writing numbers is something we haven't worked on yet. I started with 1-3 on Tues (4-6 on Thurs). Then had him write 2011 a couple of times and we talked about what the New Year means.

We read the book:


"Shante Keys and the New Years Pea's" by Gail Piernas- Davenport, which talked about different cultures and their New Years traditions. Then we glued "black eyed peas" (or black beans, he didn't know the difference!) to an outline of 2011. We work on the date everyday and I think he's finally got it that it's now 2011 and not 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment